chronicling an oven affair

Monday 18 February 2013

pineapple jam

We are about a week into the Lunar New Year and as tradition dictates, I am down with the flu. There's something about the frenzied activities that just kills your body. Or it could the daily gathering of lots of people in confined spaces that facilitates the spread of germs. Or it could be the "heatiness" from all the LNY goodies, as the older generation would say.

LNY is a time for feasting. Snacks are practically shoved in our faces whenever we enter someone's home (which is rather often, if you've got a big family like mine) with the end result being a lot of grumbling from people about burgeoning waistlines. I generally don't have a problem with weight gain during LNY. Not because I am secretly dieting like most people believe, but because I am just not very fond of LNY snacks. The only exception being Mrs Lim's pineapple tarts. (Mrs Lim is the mother of my binge buddy. How appropriate.) 

Having been fortunate enough to get my hands on the recipe a few years back, I've been religiously making my own tarts every LNY. My family and future in-laws love the tarts so much, I have to make 4 large batches to keep everyone happy.


I prefer making the closed kind of pineapple tarts because it has a more favourable pastry to jam ratio for me. But then again, this can vary according to how thin you roll our your pastry and how big a dollop of jam you use. There was one year we tried these closed tarts at my grandparents' which had such an appalling amount of filling we couldn't bring ourselves to finish the thing. "Pineapple bomb", my cousin called it. I suppose it wouldn't have tasted that bad if the pineapple wasn't candied to the extent that it was. 


For the past few years, I've been using the store-bought pineapple paste to make my tarts. They work well enough but I've always wanted to try my hand at making my own jam so my tarts would be 100% home-made. So that's what I did this year! And now I can't go back to using store-bought pineapple paste. As my elf puts it: "You don't know what you're missing until you've tried pineapple tarts made with home-made pineapple jam."  They make you realise that store-bought pastes just don't taste of pineapple.


Pineapple Jam
(adapted from Table for 2... or more)
Ingredients
2 large pineapples* (mine were about 1.2kg each, 600g after peeling)
[opt: 20ml water (if your pineapples are juicy you can leave this out)]
1¼ cup sugar
1 small cinnamon stick

*note: the sour, fibrous variety of pineapples is preferred.

Directions
Cut out the core of the pineapple, chop it up and and place it in a blender.
Blend until you get a fine puree.
Chop up the rest of the peeled pineapple and place the chunks (and any juice) into a blender.
If your pineapples are not very juicy, add 20ml of water.
Blend to a fine consistency while still maintaining a bit of chunkiness.
Place in a wok or heavy-based pan together with the cinnamon stick, and reduce over medium heat until at least 80% of its fluid content has evaporated.
Add in the sugar. (This will cause the mixture to turn watery again.)
Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens to a paste.
Increase to high heat and cook until desired colour is achieved.
Remove from wok/pan and leave to cool, which will cause the jam to thicken further.
If the mixture is still too wet, you can either return it to the wok/pan to continue cooking, or strain the syrup out.

**Sorry I can't disclose the recipe for the pineapple tart pastry without permission from Mrs Lim.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

© a millygram of sugar, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena