chronicling an oven affair

Thursday 30 May 2013

salted caramel swiss roll

My taste buds have evolved quite a bit through the years but some things have withstood the test of time. Like my love for swiss rolls. All kinds really. Old school bakery type with the greasy buttercream, cheapo-but-still-decent Polar rolls, light-as-air but pricey Japanese ones... Give me a roll and I'll be swallowing it so fast my oesophagus will start to cramp--does that happen to you too?

My absolute favourite, though, has to be the ones from Rich & Good Cake Shop. I fondly recall the times we'd rush down from clinics in order to snag one (who am I kidding? 2, at the very least) of the limited rolls on sale at the hospital bazaar. It has always been my wish to recreate their swiss rolls but it just seemed like too daunting a feat.

Then I found Su-lyn's recipe.


I am my own worst critic and I usually don't think of the stuff I make as fantastic. But I have to say I was very pleased with this. It wasn't perfect (I tore a bit of the skin off while unrolling the cake and it's more oval than round) but it tasted almost as good as R&G's. Definitely way better than the old school bakery's and Polar's, at any rate. And the best part? It refrigerated really well! Usually cakes tend to dry out and harden when refrigerated but this was still light and fluffy after a night in the fridge.

Looks like a fleece blanket and has the texture of one too.

I filled mine with whipped cream and salted caramel because I am predictable like that. Had a panicky moment when I OD-ed on the (slightly under-whipped) whipped cream and the filling came oozing out like the blob from my childhood nightmares as I rolled up the cake. Explains the rather loose and flat roll. Well, our tummies were pleased even if my eyes weren't.


Strictly-speaking, the skin should be on the internal surface according to the recipe but I quite liked the golden-brown colour so I took the liberty of inverting it. Err... plus I made a crater when peeling off the foil but let's not talk about that. Either way, it's gonna end up in your stomach faster than your oesophagus can handle so have a cup of tea (preferably not scalding hot) at the ready.


Salted Caramel Swiss Roll

Roll Cake
This is the link to Su-lyn's roll cake recipe. Her instructions are so clear and concise I decided I can't make it any more comprehensive.

For the filling:
Salted Caramel
Ingredients
125g caster sugar
12.5ml water
75ml whipping cream
75g butter
Sea salt (to taste)

Instructions

  • Put sugar and water in saucepan and heat gently, stirring until sugar dissolves.
  • Raise the heat and, without stirring, wait until sugar caramelises and turns amber (watch closely and prepare to remove from heat once it turns golden as it burns quickly).
  • Remove from heat and slowly pour in whipping cream, whisking well as you add the cream. (Be careful when adding the cream as it spits and hot caramel burns like hell.)
  • Stir in the butter.
  • Add sea salt as desired.
  • Leave to cool.


Whipped cream
Ingredients
200ml whipping cream

Instructions

  • Pour cream into a mixing bowl and using a whisk attachment, whisk until soft peaks form.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

© a millygram of sugar, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena